Why Taking Small Breaks Can Be Good For Creativity-Taking care of my artistic health.

"Love and Be Loved"-Mixed Media © Shana L Rowe Jackson 2012
   Sometimes, I get so enthralled in my artwork that it consumes my whole life. I can't sleep, I have hard time concentrating on other tasks and it makes it difficult to find time for day to day tasks. Often times this feeling comes along with a natural high, when I am crazy inspired and doing some of my best work ever, and whipping out paintings like there is no tomorrow. Other times, it comes with lows, where it seems that my hard work isn't paying off as fast as I would like, I'm not getting many sales, or I don't feel I am getting the recognition I deserve. These lows can be detrimental to creativity, so when I feel this way I know it is time for me to step back from art and let myself re-vamp before coming back to it.

   I recently went through one of these lows, and realized that I was too consumed with my art and marketing it. I love my art, and most of the time painting is very therapeutic,  it's usually when I am having a hard time with the marketing and getting recognition that I hit one of these lows. This comes with a feeling of depression that often has a nasty side effect of lack of inspiration and creative energy. My problem is that as soon as I finish a painting I want the whole world to see it, then I am online for hours promoting it. Which is fine at first, then after a while that natural high wears off. Sales have been slow lately and that hasn't helped. The main reason I paint, is for me, for my well being. But when times are tough financially, there is always that added pressure to sell my work so that I can contribute more to my house hold. That is always a mistake. I don't want my passion to become a job. That's when I know that it is time to step back for a while and just live life and let things happen naturally.

  After my last low, I took about month off of painting and promoting. That is also why it has been a while since I have done a blog post. This time helped me to focus on other parts of my life that needed extra attention. It also helped me to build my creativity up naturally, instead of forcing myself to paint. A month is a very long time for me to go without art, I am usually very prolific, I have done almost 300 paintings in less than three years, so taking time off can be a struggle. Sometimes I feel guilty, like I am cheating myself by not painting.  But in the long run the benefits outweigh the struggles. I was able to put my creativity into other parts of my life, like throwing my hubby an awesome tie dye themed birthday bash, and my passion for fashion. It also freed up more time for me to lose weight and concentrate on my health.

  Taking a break also helps me to come back with a fresh eye and a fresh perspective, which helps me see my ideas and my artwork in a new way. My inspiration has built back up naturally, and I have the energy to dive back in again. I am very excited to start on some new projects that I have been planning on for a while. I have also entered another art show at the local gallery that I am a part of. I have gotten over the guilt of stepping back to breathe, taking a break doesn't make me less of an artist, in fact I think it makes me better at it in the long run. I call it taking care of my artistic health. Even though I wasn't painting I was still learning, it gave me time to step back at look at the world around me, observe new things, and commit them to memory for when I am ready to paint again. Often times when I take breaks I will come back and do some of the best work I have ever done, because I am coming in with a fresh mind and I am freed from any artistic rut that I may have been in before. 

"The Big Leagues" 18"x24" Acrylic  Part of my "Life in the 'Dale" series. © Shana L Rowe Jackson 2013


  I feel great, I am refreshed and am ready to put my creative energy to use!! I have finished my next installation of my "Life in the 'Dale" series and have the next one planned. I will be working more on my "Revival" project and summer flight series and I am starting a new series that I have been planning on working on since the beginning of the year. It is going to be called "Being a Girl" It is something different and new for me and should pose an exciting challenge for me, working with fabrics in a unique still life setting. It's going to combine my love for art, lingerie and shoes! I am anxious to get started and will be posting pictures as well as updates on my upcoming art show so keep your eyes peeled for updates!!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Experience with Blick Studio Artists' Colored Pencils

Crayola Crayons are Still the Bomb

Faber-Castell Pitt Graphite Matt Review