My First Gallery Experience!!

  Last night I attended my first gallery opening! The show that I am in is "PLAY" at Harlow Gallery in Hallowell Maine. The object of the show is to Celebrate the Spirit of Play. Artwork that is inspired by children or childhood that is whimsical or humorous. The artwork was chosen by a jury to be placed in the show and the exhibition will be running through April 27th.
"Here Kitty Kitty Kitty!!" © Shana L Rowe Jackson 2012 Click for Prints


  I arrived at 5:00 pm when the opening started and stayed until 7:00, the opening ran until 8:00. We were encouraged to bring food for a pot luck style opening, I brought one of my favorite pasta salads and it was a hit, over a pound and I barely brought home left overs. The food spread was wonderful, fruits, pastries and dips, I tried new things I hadn't tried before. They also offered wine and sparkling water.
 
Click for Prints of this Painting

  The turn out was awesome. The place was packed!! There were so many people that I didn't know, it was a little over whelming at times but was very interesting to observe. People were mingling, laughing, taking photos and having a wonderful time. I met a couple of people but didn't mingle as much as I would have liked. I was trying to get a grasp on how things work. For the next show I plan to be more social and network more. Everybody was nice, and I could tell that many there have known each other for years, and had their own community. Eventually I hope to be part of that community instead of just looking in on it. There is time for that though because there are many more art shows that I want to enter and I plan to be part of this art association for a very long time!! I had a lot of friends and family come out and show support, my best friend even brought me flowers, it was very nice to have my loved ones there. My biggest support came from my husband Jason, he was almost happier to be there than I was! He truly is my biggest fan.

Click Here For Prints Of This Painting
  The Exhibition itself was very interesting!! My artwork was hung in the window where a lot of people from the outside could see it too. It was so cool to see my work hanging in a gallery, and I had that familiar feeling that told me that this is where I am meant to be. This is what I was born to do; be an artist. There was a lot of different styles and mediums displayed, from sculpture, to photography to paintings. It was fun looking at all the artwork and seeing all the different styles and how different artists work!! It was a good feeling to be a part of it all. All in all I think this was a pretty successful first opening for me and I learned a lot. I can't wait to attend more!!!

Harlow Gallery
More About "PLAY"

Comments

  1. Shana, this sounds awesome -- I'm so pleased and excited for you! I hope this will be the first of many, wonderful gallery events. You deserve it!

    Please pass on my compliments to your Jason, for giving you his support. Everyone deserves someone like that to stand beside them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your support Wendy, I really appreciate it!! I am very fortunate to have Jason, and you are right, everyone should have someone like him to walk through life with!!!

      Delete
  2. I love your work! What whimsical fun! I followed your link from FAA.

    Deb
    http://deborahsart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Shana! It's fun (and a little nerve wracking) to be in a gallery show. I just submitted one of my pieces to a show yesterday, and will find out by Monday whether or not it was juried in. Enjoy -- I'm sure this is just the first of many for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cricket, Good luck with your show, keep me updated on how it goes!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Crayola Crayons are Still the Bomb

My Experience with Blick Studio Artists' Colored Pencils

Faber-Castell Pitt Graphite Matt Review