Vaughan Vignettes Show

  I recently entered a local art show at Harlow Gallery in Hallowell Maine. The show is a Kennebec Valley Art Association (KVAA) members only show, the theme was Vaughan Vignettes, in coalition with the Vaughan Homestead foundation. The Vaughan family has a long and important history in my area, and this show was to honor them, and their legacy. The Vaughan estates are beautiful, along with the Vaughan woods also known as "Hobbit Land". Hobbit Land is known as a natural treasure in our area, running over 166 acres. The Vaughan stream runs through next to the main path, you can see many waterfalls on this stream as well as a century old dam and stone bridges. It is a beautiful place to spend time with many trails and lots to see. The Vaughan Homestead foundation has been very generous in preserving this beautiful place and sharing it with the public. 



Buy Prints

    I have spent a lot of time in the woods, taking pictures, walking and just taking in the scenery. My father pretty much grew up in these woods as they were right in his back yard. He tells many stories from those times and those are some of his fondest childhood memories. The woods scream inspiration, and imagination, especially if you believe in the little Hobbits that are said to live there. I have done a few paintings inspired by Hobbit Land, my dad owns a couple in his private collection. Leading up to the show Harlow and the Vaughan Homestead opened up a series of workshops for artists to go on the grounds of the homestead and create art. A lot of the art in the show came from those workshops. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend the workshops because of work and money reasons, but judging from the show those workshops were very successful!!

Buy Prints
    We were also allowed to enter work into the show that was older as long as it was inspired by the Vaughan family and their legacy. I entered my "Inspiration: The Poet" 24"x30 acrylic painting. This is part of my "Be in Inspired" series, and one of my opposite handed paintings.
"Inspiration-The Poet" 24"x30" Acrylic © Shana L Rowe Jackson 2012
    The opening for the show was on July 5th, and was a potluck style opening. We had a lot of great food and I met with a lot of local artists and made some really good contacts. The people were all really nice and it was great to mingle with people who have a similar passion for art that I do. The artwork was wonderful and it was great to see so many different interpretations of the same theme. So great to meet with such a diverse group of artists and to come together for the same purpose. I had a great time and look forward to many more shows like it!!



The show will be on display through July 27th 2013 to visit this exhibition go here-

Harlow Gallery
160 Water Street
Hallowell, ME 04347

 Harlow Gallery Website
Vaughan Homestead Foundation

My website-Prints Available!!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Experience with Blick Studio Artists' Colored Pencils

Crayola Crayons are Still the Bomb

Faber-Castell Pitt Graphite Matt Review