Doing Series Work

  One of my favorite things about being an artist is doing series work. Often times I don't start a piece of art planning to make it a series but once it is finished, I love it so much that I want to do more like it!! Series work is great for the collect-ability factor. Patrons want more of what they love, a series is a great way to give them that!! I personally like to work on many different subjects, so doing series work helps me to make many different bodies of work, which is really helpful when you have a hard time defining your "Niche".

  A series is a group of pieces that are linked in some way. Like doing the same subject at different angles or colors, or a repetitive concept. My newest series is a progression series, which follows a hot air balloon on its journey. In each piece the hot air balloon is a little bit farther along on its journey. I have three in the series so far and have at least three more planned!! A series can range anywhere from three paintings to how ever many you want, the possibilities are endless!! My longest going series at this time is my "Life in the 'Dale" series which has 17 paintings and counting!! Here are a few peaks at some of my series work!!!

Life in the 'Dale-This series represents childhood, farm life, innocence, and whimsy. It is loosely based on my hometown Farmingdale Maine, and the concept that everything seems big to a kid!! The fun titles act as captions for each painting!!


"Rude Awakening" 18"x24" Acrylic© Shana L Rowe Jackson 2013


"Just Another Monarch Monday" 18"x24" Acrylic © Shana L Rowe Jackson 2013
"That's Gonna Make A Lot Of Pies!!!" 18"x24" Acrylic © Shana L Rowe Jackson 2013
My "Summer Flight" Series follows a hot air balloon on it's journey, it's main concept is hope and enlightenment. Here are the first three of this series-
"Summer Flight" 11"x14" Oil © Shana L Rowe Jackson 2013


"Summer Flight 2" 11"x14" Oil © Shana L Rowe Jackson 2013


"Summer Flight 3" 11"x14" Oil © Shana L Rowe Jackson 2013
"Be Inspired" Is my first series created using my right hand (I am actually I lefty) and it depicts creative people in landscapes that inspire them.
"Inspiration-The Painter" 24"x30" Acrylic © Shana L Rowe Jackson 2012
"Inspiration-The Musician" 24"x30" Acrylic © Shana L Rowe Jackson 2012
"Inspiration-The Poet" 24"x30" Acrylic © Shana L Rowe Jackson 2012
My "Free as the Elements" and "Free as the Seasons" Series' are sister series' to one another, part of a larger "Freedom Fairies" Series. Free as the elements depicts fairies that represent Earth, Air, Fire and Water, and Free as the Seasons depicts fairies that represent Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall. Often done with a limited color pallet to match the theme, the fairies are nude to represent freedom. There are more to come for the "Freedom Fairies" Series.
"Free As The Elements Series Collage" This depicts all 5 from my "Free as the Elements Series


"Free As Autumn Leaves" 11"x14" Acrylic © Shana L Rowe Jackson 2013


I have done a lot of other series work as well, to see more of my work, please visit my website:
http://shana-rowe.artistwebsites.com/index.html

If you have questions about any of the pieces you see here feel free to email me at: shanaroweart@gmail.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Experience with Blick Studio Artists' Colored Pencils

Crayola Crayons are Still the Bomb

Faber-Castell Pitt Graphite Matt Review