Busy Busy Busy, My Life as a Painter

 
"My life As a Painter" Self portrait 20"x20" Oil
© Shana L Rowe Jackson 2013


  One of the things I love the most about being an artist is being able to set my own hours. This is great in theory, but not having a set plan for the day can often lead to procrastination and cause important tasks to build up, which will become over whelming. I don't want my passion to feel like too much work!! So to try to curb this at the end of each day I make a mental list of the goals I want to complete the next day. These goals can be something as little as putting a hanger on a painting, doing a blog post, or entering a new contest to as big as starting a new painting. I also factor in house hold chores on my list too. The important thing is to do something to promote and support my art each day. I find this helps me plan out my day a head of time so that I can do something creative each day, and not get over whelmed by how much I need to do. Doing a few things each day is a steady way to get things done with out over whelming myself, as apposed to putting it off and then being stressed that there is not enough time.

  This week my goals have been centered around a couple of shows that I have coming up. I have had to varnish, frame, put hangers on (with help from my husband), write out labels and price work. These things can get tedious and tend to be the least fun things about being an artist but in the end it is worth it to know that my work is going to be in the public eye. I have also been making phone calls for more exhibition opportunities (looking good ;)), promoting my work online, entering a few online contests and was able to do a new self portrait. Promotion never ends, even if I am busy doing other tasks I always have to make time to promote. Those who think "Artists are lucky, they get to sit home all day and do nothing" have obviously never experienced what it's like to be an artist trying to get out there!!


  All this business is a lot harder when you don't have a vehicle. Luckily for me I have wonderful husband who dropped a few entries off for me at a show today. This show is held by the local sportsman's club and is artwork based on wild animals of North America. I entered two paintings and a photo. There will be awards given out so fingers crossed ;). The next show I have is a gallery exhibition taking place at Harlow Gallery in Hallowell ME. The theme to this show is "Play" artwork inspired by children/childhood that is whimsical, fantastical or humorous. (Sounds like "Life in the 'Dale to me!!) I have one piece that was juried into the show, opening night is April 5th and the exhibition goes through April 27th!! This is my first gallery show!! 
 
"Here Kitty Kitty Kitty!!" 18"x24" Acrylic
© Shana L Rowe Jackson 2012

  I am very excited for all the new opportunities coming my way!! I now also have 5 pieces hung for in a local restaurant as well!! Feels like my hard work is finally starting to pay off!! I have been making some very important connections that may lead to more exhibition opportunities, and have entered a few contests, slowly but surely I am getting my name out there. This is what being an artist is all about, it has its ups and downs but I wouldn't trade it for anything!!!

About "Play"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Experience with Blick Studio Artists' Colored Pencils

Crayola Crayons are Still the Bomb

Faber-Castell Pitt Graphite Matt Review