Trying New Things -Colored Pencil Painting

   I have to say one of my favorite things about being an artist is learning new techniques. The possibilities are endless, and there is always something new to learn, no matter how seasoned of an artist you are. I love the feeling I get when I read something or see something that I didn't know before, especially when it comes to a classic medium. Artists as a whole are innovative, we love to push the limits, experiment and see where things go. Because of this, on the internet and in books, you will find so much information just waiting to be learned, put there by generous artists who want to share their hard learned treasures with the rest of the world. No man is an island. This is especially true for fine artists, and a surprising reality for the self taught. Being self taught does not mean you do not learn from others, it's that you go and seek the information out for yourself instead of having it thrown at you in a classroom setting. 

  Recently I have been playing around with my drawing skills, more specifically pastels and colored pencils. I, by nature, love color, so I am naturally drawn to painting. I am prolific and paint gives me the speed I need to cover large areas in a small amount of time. However, like most I started with the basics. Drawing. Drawing for me is an instinct, and is a very important part of all that I create whether it ends up as a painting or not. I decided to find new ways to combine my love for drawing and painting, which is why I turned to pastels and colored pencils which can combine the best of both worlds. 

  Colored pencils aren't just for kids! For a long time I shied away from colored pencils because they have the coloring book, school project stigma about them. Then I read about some colored pencil techniques done by professional artists in an issue of The Artist's Magazine some months back and it re-opened my eyes to an old favorite. I always loved colored pencils as a kid, but, like most, felt I had grown out of them. I have done a few pieces in recent years using colored pencils, and have used them countless times with watercolor, marker and pastel in mixed media pieces, but have really just recently fallen back in love with them. When I created my last picture of 2013 called "Tucked In" I realized that there really was much more to this medium then I gave it credit for. And so began my exploration to find out all that colored pencils can offer.
http://shana-rowe.artistwebsites.com/featured/tucked-in-shana-rowe.html
"Tucked In" Colored Pencil Drawing (Click for Prints) © Shana L Rowe Jackson 2014
   Colored Pencil Painting is a term describing a newer technique pioneered by Alyona Nickelsen and other artists like her in a movement that may change the way the world looks at colored pencil forever. I am so happy that I have discovered this technique and that Alyona is generous enough to share her secrets online and in books to help spread the word about this wonderful medium. This technique is exactly what I have been looking for and truly is the best of both worlds for the artist who draws and paints.

  
  I am currently reading a book about this technique called Colored Pencil Painting Bible by Alyona Nickelsen , I am only about half way through the book but was so excited I just had to get to work and try it. I have done a couple of paintings over the last couple days with much success, here are my first 2 colored pencil paintings!!
http://shana-rowe.artistwebsites.com/featured/daylily-delight-shana-rowe.html
"Daylily Delight" Colored Pencil Painting (Click for Prints) © Shana L Rowe Jackson 2014

http://shana-rowe.artistwebsites.com/featured/sunlit-stargazer-shana-rowe.html
"Sunlit Stargazer" Colored Pencil Painting (Click for Prints) © Shana L Rowe Jackson 2014


      I can't wait to finish reading and to continue learning more about this technique and medium. I plan on using what I learn often for future pieces and this medium may become my new favorite; I can't rave enough about it!! To learn more about this technique go here-
http://www.brushandpencil.com/
      I will be doing more like the peices seen here, and there will be more to come from my "Life in the 'Dale" Series and "Freedom Fairies" collection so as always keep your eyes open for new work from me. You never know what I will be doing next!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Experience with Blick Studio Artists' Colored Pencils

Crayola Crayons are Still the Bomb

Faber-Castell Pitt Graphite Matt Review