My Art Goals for 2022

Wow! Can you believe we are already into 2022? The past couple of years have been crazy for everyone. With a world-wide pandemic and growing political tensions, it can be hard to look forward to the future. However, I find that the only way I can personally combat the negativity that comes along with events that are out of my control, is to focus on the things that I can control. That is where making goals comes in handy.
 

"Tree Song" Acrylics on Panel, © Shana Rowe Jackson 2021


Times are tough, so I have made a vow to be gentle with myself when it comes to setting and achieving my goals. When it came time to sit down and brainstorm my art goals for 2022, I tried to come up with a variety that will not only help me grow as a businesswoman but are also reasonably obtainable in a years’ time.

There are some goals that I like to call bite sized goals. Ones that involve using certain media more often or adding to an already existing series of mine. A key phrase when making my goals this year was ‘baby steps’. As for the not so bite-sized goals that I set this year or goals that rely on outside factors to be achieved, I am focused more on the work that I plan to put into them, and less on the achievement itself. Because that is the part that I can control. While I love the feeling of crushing my goals, I have chosen to be mindful of my own mental health and that is where being gentle with myself comes in. So, with that, I am aware that some of my goals may need to splash over into the next year as well.

So, without further ado, here is my list of art goals for 2022. If you would like to hear these goals while watching me paint my last painting of 2021 (pictured above,) feel free to click this link to see my Art Goals Video.

1.       Finish Art Studio Renovations- I have a lovely space, but it needs some work. Mainly it needs some drywall repairs, a few coats of paint, and new flooring. My husband and I have started the work but need to finish. Having a fresh studio look and better organization will open more opportunities for me to do certain projects and better filming for my YouTube channel.

2.       Explore Seldom Used Art Supplies- If you follow my journey on YouTube than you know that I love trying new art supplies. That means I have accumulated many supplies over the years. There are a lot that I would like to explore more deeply and get better use out of this year.

3.       Add to my Candy Series- This is one of those bite sized goals that I was talking about earlier. I have a colored pencil series I have been doing over the years that features some of my favorite sweet treats. I would like to add to this series more this year. I have many reference photos; I just need to get to work!

4.       Finish my “Bee” Painting- I have an oil painting that I have started but not worked on for many months. It’s of a big fluffy bumble bee on a dandelion. This is a project that largely depends on getting my studio finished. It is a good-sized painting and since I am working with traditional oils and mediums, I would prefer not to do it in my living room, which is where I have been creating while my studio is out of commission.

5.       Learning Based Activities- I think it’s important to always keep learning and seek out new ways to observe and do art. So, I plan to read more books and do more online courses and seminars this year.

6.       Enter Art Contests- This goal largely depends on my budget and if there are any contests that my work will fit into. I think contests can be a great way to get art seen by curators and to make connections within the art world. They can also be a lot of fun and if I place in a contest all the better!

7.       Do In-Person Events- Again, this one depends on some outside factors. I haven’t been able to exhibit my work in person since 2020 and I really miss that hands-on experience. It has always been a great way to network with other artists and to discuss my work with potential patrons. There is also something special about being able to see my work hung in good lighting with the artwork of other artists that I admire.

8.       Offer New Products in my Shop- I have been steadily working on my website and shop (www.cautionartistatplay.com) and will continue to do so in 2022. I am interested in offering some fun new products in my shop as well, custom sketchbooks are something that I have been leaning towards. I am doing some research and when I settle on what products I would like to offer I will announce it here!

9.       Blog/ Monthly Newsletter- A goal of mine this year is to be more active here on my blog, so here I am on the first day of the year, doing my first blog post of 2022! I would also like to start a monthly email newsletter with a recap of what I have been up to each month. I am still researching how I would like to format my newsletter so it may be a month or two before I start, but if you are interested you can sign up at cautionartistatplay.com!

10.   Create a Course and/or Patreon- One of my favorite things to do is share my art knowledge with others! To that end, I would like to create a new course, perhaps on Skillshare, an online learning platform for various fields. I have a few ideas for topics that I could cover, but am still deciding which direction I would like to go in.

Also, I plan on starting a Patreon account. Patreon is a subscriber-based platform, where people can subscribe to their favorite creators to gain access to exclusive content and rewards. I have signed up for Patreon and am brainstorming what I would like to offer. However, because Patreon is a lot of work, I will need to make sure I have generated enough interest from my followers before getting it off the ground.

These are my top ten goals for 2022. Of course, I have other goals as well, however, I think that this is a good start to the year, both for me to grow as an artist and an entrepreneur. Do you have any goals for 2022? Feel free to comment and let us know what your goals are!!

Thank you for reading and have a very Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Experience with Blick Studio Artists' Colored Pencils

Crayola Crayons are Still the Bomb

Faber-Castell Pitt Graphite Matt Review