What does it mean to be an Artist?

      “The artist is a receptacle for the emotions that come from all over the place: from the sky, from the earth, from a scrap of paper, from a passing shape, from a spider's web.”

-Pablo Picasso

  
Funny question I know. Surely it means different things to different people. Many say you are an artist if you are able to create, be it architecture, cooking, crocheting, singing etc. Then there are those who say anybody can be an artist. Others say you are only an artist if you are good at what you create. That's where things get so confusing. Who decides what is good and what isn't? Art is so subjective. What is Art? That question is one that may never have an answer that will satisfy everybody.
"My Life as a Painter" Oil © Shana L Rowe Jackson 2013


   An easier way to answer is to narrow it down. Art is very personal, so forget what others think makes you an artist, why do you think you are an artist? I asked myself today, what does being an artist mean to ME? I often say, I don't know how to be an artist, I just am one. I was born with the need to create. Personally I don't think there's a time that I have ever NOT been an artist. It's as natural as breathing. That does not mean I don't work hard to better myself and my craft though. So I decided to break it down into categories that I think make me an artist. What being an artist means to me:

IMAGINATION-This is probably the first thing that made me an artist. When I was a kid, as many children do, I had the best imagination. I could play alone for hours with nothing but the outdoors and an idea. I played so many fun games and made up so many fun characters and worlds. I had many imaginary friends. I think the most important aspect in my art is my imagination. It is very important to hold on to the inner child, as it fuels creativity.
EXPRESSION-I yearn to be known. Sometimes I tend to be socially awkward, or it at least it feels that way. Painting is my way of putting myself out there in a way that is also pleasing to others. There is a piece of me in every work I do. My brushstrokes are unique to me and the way I view the world. Often Idealistic or nostalgic. There is nothing like the ability to create, it soothes the soul. I am able to purge all my worries, and for a moment I am in my own world while I create.
INSPIRATION-My best friend and yet my worst enemy, especially when I am trying to sleep at night ;) There is nothing better than being inspired. That new idea, and the excitement and anticipation of a new project. I find inspiration in the world around me and in my imagination. Inspiration is all around, for me it's everywhere. I am fortunate to have a keen eye and an open mind and it has done wonders for me!
HARD WORK -I am primarily self taught. Art is my passion, it is what I was born to do, but that is not where it stops. In order to be an artist, in my mind I need to be active. Promotion, learning new techniques, learning how to best preserve my art, being prolific etc. Always striving to be better at what I do then I was yesterday, and not giving up.
DETERMINATION-Right up there with hard work. I need to be an artist, it is who I am. I am determined to do that anyway I can. I have a dream and I will not let it wither and die.
PRACTICE-This is almost as important as imagination to me. In order to master anything you do in life you must practice. This often means repetition. When I was younger I would focus on one subject and sketch it over and over again until I felt comfortable enough with it then I would move on. That practice has come in handy for me, and I often do projects just to refine my skills with certain subjects.
EXPERIMENTATION- I go where ever my inspiration takes me. I love the freedom of art, all the different mediums and techniques. The subjects are endless. I love to challenge myself, and I am often stepping outside of my comfort zone to try something new and spice things up!!
GROWTH-I am always growing and evolving in my art. It comes from all the experimentation, hard work and practice. I have documented my work as far back as 8 years old because I always knew I would want to look back and see how I have grown as an artist. I think it is very important know that no matter how good I am now, I should always strive to get better. And I do.
"Fruit Basket Revival" Part of my revival series. The left was done when I was 15, the right today.






These are just a few of the things that I think make me an artist. What does being an artist mean to you?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Experience with Blick Studio Artists' Colored Pencils

Crayola Crayons are Still the Bomb

Faber-Castell Pitt Graphite Matt Review